Heritage VIC

    Print

REDBIRD

Location

Hastings, Western Port

VHR Number

S560

Date lost

1940

Year of construction

1915

Statement of Significance

Physical Description  
Construction Material Steel
Hull Details Steel hull, single screw steamer.
Propulsion Steam - Screw
Length / Breadth / Depth 70.5 Feet / 14.0 Feet / 6.7 Feet
History  
Builder Public Works Department
Built Date 1915
Built Port / Country Williamstown, Victoria / Australia
Registration Port / Country Melbourne / Australia
Details
The tug Redbird was built at Williastown in 1915 and originally named ANZAC. The vessel's name was changed shortly afterwards when the federal government passed legislation prohibiting the use of the name for commercial purposes. As a result, the vessel was renamed REDBIRD. It was operated by Melbourne Harbour Trust until 1934 when it was sold to a Mr J.L. Dyson who planned to convert it into a commercial fishing vessel. This plan never came to fruition. The vessel was laid up, and some time during the 1940s, it broke free from its moorings during a gale and drifted onto a sandbank to the east of Hastings and was abandoned.
Voyage Details  
Date Lost 1940
Owner 1925: Melbourne Harbour Trust
Cause of Loss
Vessel broke free from its moorings, drifted ashore and was abandoned
Further Details  
Number of Passengers 0
Number of Crew Members 0