Heritage VIC

    Print

T.S.S. GEORGE KERMODE

Location

Off Pyramid Rock, Phillip Island

VHR Number

S301

Date lost

01/04/1976

Year of construction

1914

Official number

159581

Statement of Significance

Physical Description  
Hull Details Twin screw, Steam bucket dredge (Harbour Dredge), single deck, elliptical stern, in/out strakes, steel frame, pole mast straight stem.
Propulsion Steam - Screw
Number of Masts 1
Length / Breadth / Depth 230.1 Feet / 44.1 Feet / 17.1 Feet
History  
Builder Fleming & Ferguson Ltd
Built Date 1914
Built Port / Country Paisley / Scotland
Registration Number 1 of 1943
Registration Port / Country Melbourne / Australia
Details
The Melbourne Harbour Trust Commission purchased the steam dredge SIR WILLIAM MATHEWS on 10 October 1941 from the Western Australian Government. Although the dredge was described as a suction dredge it was in fact a bucket dredge. After an overhaul, the vessel was renamed the GEORGE KERMODE and commenced operation in Victorian waters on 22 June 1942. The vessel was hired out to the Port of Burnie in 1945-46 but continued in the ownership of the Trust until 1 April 1976 when it was scuttled by the Department of Conservation, Forrests and Lands as part of their artificial reef program. This program resulted in a number of reefs being established in Port Phillip Bay, including one off Carrum containing the wooden steamer URALBA.
Voyage Details  
Date Lost 01/04/1976
Owner March 1943: Melbourne Harbour Trust Commissioners
Cause of Loss
Scuttled as an artificial reef by Conservation, Forests and Lands
Further Details  
Number of Passengers 0
Number of Crew Members 0