Simple Search » Back to search results »   Pdf_icon  Print


SACRED HEART CONVENT AND COLLEGE

Location

61 RETREAT ROAD NEWTOWN, GREATER GEELONG CITY

Google Maps and Google Streetview

Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number

H0555

Heritage Overlay Number

HO220

Level of Significance

Registered

Extent of Registration

AMENDMENT OF REGISTER OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS Historic Building No. 555 Sacred Heart Convent and College, Retreat Road, Newtown (the interiors and exteriors of the convent, chapel ... more

Statement of Significance

The Sacred Heart Convent of Mercy was established in 1859-60 in a large colonial single storey mansion house `Sunville' erected C 1850 for J W Belcher, and acquired by the Catholic Church in 1855. JL Shaw, Geelong architect, designed the original orphanage building in 1864 and the boarding school of 1869, with the new convent building being erected 1872-74 to designs by noted church architect, TA Kelly. This complex of buildings, mainly of bluestone with Barrabool freestone ... more

Year Construction Started 1864
Architectural Style Victorian Period (1851-1901) Gothic Revival
Heritage Act Categories Heritage place
Municipality GREATER GEELONG CITY

Create Report:

Pdf_icon_big
PDF Report

(Build 107 (35372) / 25/04/15 - 102785 places Online ) Terms and Conditions Reset Search