ARMYTAGE HOUSE

Location

263 PAKINGTON STREET NEWTOWN, Greater Geelong City

Google Maps and Google Streetview

Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number

H0405

Heritage Overlay Number

HO1972

Level of Significance

Registered

79558

Extent of Registration

NOTICE OF REGISTRATION

As Executive Director for the purpose of the Heritage Act 1995, I give notice under section 46 that the Victorian Heritage Register is amended by modifying the following places in the Heritage Register:

Number: H0405
Category: Heritage Place
Place: Armytage House
235 Pakington Street
Newtown
Greater Geelong City

All of the place shown hatched on Diagram 405 encompassing all of Lot 1 on Plan of Subdivision 333804.

Dated 7 October 2015
TIM SMITH
Executive Director

[Victoria Government Gazette G40 8 October 2015 p.2141]

Statement of Significance

The Hermitage was upon completion in 1860 one of the finest Colonial Regency style mansion houses in Victoria, evocatively recalling the architecture of Van Diemens Land of the 1830s. The ionic portico and exquisitely proportioned, encircling wrought iron verandah is the most distinctive feature of this mansion, which is undoubtedly Edward Prowse's most impressive work. The mansion has considerable and important historical associations, firstly with the Armytage family and finally with the Geelong Church of England Girls Grammar School (1905-1973).

Former Van Diemens Land farmer and early Victorian pioneer, George Armytage, acquired the property, The Hermitage, from Geelong's retiring Police Magistrate N A Fenwick in 1851. Edward Prowse, architect, designed this two storey Colonial Regency style mansion for Armytage and construction from Barrabool freestone ashlar and basalt rubble was undertaken in 1859/60. The facade is dominated by an intricate wrought iron verandah and ionic portico.

The Hermitage, which was renamed Armytage House in 1973, has been restored and converted to the City of Newtown Council Offices. The fabric is largely intact, although the parapet entablature was not reinstated during restoration in 1973.

(Statement from the Register of the National Estate)

Year Construction Started 1859
Architectural Style Victorian Period (1851-1901) Regency
Heritage Act Categories Registered place
Municipality GREATER GEELONG CITY

Create Report:

Pdf_icon_big
PDF Report

(Build 107 (35372) / 25/04/15 - 107216 places Online ) Terms and Conditions Reset Search