Tulliallan

Location

1/805 Berwick-Cranbourne Road,CRANBOURNE NORTH, Casey City

Google Maps and Google Streetview

Heritage Overlay Number

HO152

For further details, contact the local council or go to Planning Schemes Online.

Level of Significance

Included in Heritage Overlay

Statement of Significance

What is significant?
'Tulliallan', comprising the stone and brick cottage constructed c.1860, and the avenue of elms lining the entrance driveway at 1/805 Berwick Cranbourne Road, Cranbourne North.

How is it significant?
'Tulliallan' is of local historic and aesthetic significance to the City of Casey.

Why is it significant?
Historically, the cottage is highly significant in a regional context as one of the few surviving buildings associated with the settlement of the study area during the pastoral era of 1850s and 60s prior to the land being opened for selection. It illustrates the development of cattle runs within the south east part of the Settled District of Port Philip. It has associations with locally important individuals including members of the Rossiter family, James Gibb and Captain Thomas Mitchell. The early development of the farm is also demonstrated by the now mature elm Avenue. ( AHC criteria A4, B2 & D2).

Aesthetically, the Elm Avenue is significant as one of the largest private avenues in the municipality and provides a dramatic entry and setting for the farm complex. It also contributes to the broader cultural landscape within this erea.(AHC criterion E1)

Description

'Tulliallan' comprises a complex of farm buildings at the end of a long tree-lined driveway. Many of the buildings appear to date from the mid to late twentieth century. Buildings and structures that appear to pre-date World War Two include:

Brick & stone cottage
The cottage is located opposite the homestead entrance, facing north. It is a small single-storey structure constructed from hand-made red bricks (probably constructed on site or locally) and sandstone both of which have been painted with a white wash. The hipped roof is clad with corrugated galvanised steel, which is covers the early (or original) timber shingles. There is a single painted brick chimney. Doors are four-panel timber and windows are multi-pane double hung sashes. The south elevation is an open verandah with round timber columns. The cottage is in poor condition but is being maintained. The style and nature of construction suggests that it was constructed in the mid to late nineteenth century, possibly as early as c.1860. This building is possibly the one once known as the 'shearer's cottage' and may be the only building to survive from the pre-emptive right era of the rostier family.

Outbuildings
The only pre WWII outbuilding is a small timber building to the south-west of the brick cottage adjacent to the driveway. The function of this building, which is in poor condition is known. A second building, an interwar dwelling ( fibro house/pavillion) identified in 2004, was demolished c.2005 and replaced on the same site by dwelling now at the west end of the entrance driveway on the south side. Other building corrugated iron-clad sheds and brick building all date from the post WWII period.

A key landscape element is the driveway, which is lined with an avenue of 51 elms down each side; these are mature from the gates through to the 28th tree, and semi-mature after that indicating two stages of planting. The size of the more mature specimens suggests an original planting date of around 1900. About 10 of the trees are recent in-fill sapling plantings.

Other related landscape elements are a number of cypresses (Cupressus macrocarpa) which appear to have been planted in the early twentieth century as a wind-break, and there are more mature Cypress windbreaks in the surrounding paddocks. These vary in maturity and appear to date from the early to mid-twentieth century.

Cottage - Fair

Medium. The cottage has been altered but retains its original overall form and materials.

Medium. The avenue of elms has a small number of infill trees and has been extened.

Settling the land, Working the land

Heritage Study Casey - Casey Heritage Study, Context Pty Ltd, 2004
Year Construction Started 1860
Municipality CASEY CITY

Create Report:

Pdf_icon_big
PDF Report

(Build 107 (35372) / 25/04/15 - 189 places Online for Casey City ) Terms and Conditions Reset Search