MORELAND PARK

Location

130 RENNIE STREET, COBURG, MORELAND CITY

Google Maps and Google Streetview

Heritage Overlay Number

HO359

For further details, contact the local council or go to Planning Schemes Online.

Level of Significance

Included in Heritage Overlay

42534

Statement of Significance

What is significant?
The former Moreland Park, at 130 Rennie Street, Coburg East, including the exterior, interior and mature garden elements.

How is it significant?
The former Moreland Park, at 130 Rennie Street, Coburg East, including the exterior, interior and mature garden elements, is of historic and aesthetic significance to the City of Moreland.

Why is it significant?
Of historic significance for its direct associations with Montague Dare, who developed the Moreland Park Estate, planned and perceived from conception to the current day to be the most prestigious area of Coburg. Dare built this house, the former Moreland Park, as his own residence. Also for its associations with architect TJ Crouch who designed a series of villas for the estate and probably also designed Moreland Park. It also demonstrates the speculative development associated with the land boom in Coburg just prior to the 1890s depression. (AHC Criteria A.4 & H.1)

Of aesthetic significance, as a good example of a Boom style Italianate villa, which, rather than being conceived as a two storey building, remained single storey with extensive wings which contained the ballroom and other rooms. Although slightly altered, the house retains a number of significant original features, particularly internally. These include externally polychromatic brickwork and narrow full length double hung sash windows to the front facade, and internally, fretwork, fire surrounds and most significantly original pressed metal ceilings which retain their original paint schemes. Also for its mature remnant garden elements. (AHC Criterion E.1)

Description

Moreland Park (former) at 130 Rennie Street, Coburg East is an asymmetrical bi-chrome Victorian Italianate villa with a hipped slate roof. The hosue has two bi-chrome brick chimneys with decorative brick capping. Decorative brackets run ender the eave line. The front four panel door has side and high lights. The window to the projecting front fašade is double hung sash, flanked by two narrow double hung sash windows. The remaining windows to the front fašade are long narrow duble-hung sashes. Side windows are also double-hing sashes, of normal proportion.

The house has a substantial rear wing, to the west of the main building, which is contemporary with the main building. It is constructed from red brick with a slate hipped roof, with bi-chrome and decorative bracket detailing under the eave line and bi-chrome brick chimneys.

The house has some additions to the rear but is substantially intact to the remainder of the building. Very little work has been done to the builing since it was made into flats. The front return verandah and tesselated florr was removed in 2003, howver the tiles have been retained and are stored at the rear of the house.

Internally, the house has been modified c.1949 into flats, however retains an number of original internal features including fretwork, mantlepieces and the ornate pressed metal ballroom ceiling, including the original paint scheme.

The house also retains a number of mature trees.

Good

Altered

Heritage Study Moreland - City of Coburg Heritage Conservation & Streetscape Study, Timothy Hubbard Pty Ltd , 1991; Moreland - Moreland City Council: Local Heritage Places Review, Context Pty Ltd, 2004
Year Construction Started 1888
Architectural Style Victorian Period (1851-1901) Italianate; Victorian Period (1851-1901)
Municipality MORELAND CITY

Create Report:

Pdf_icon_big
PDF Report

(Build 107 (35372) / 25/04/15 - 6398 places Online for Moreland City ) Terms and Conditions Reset Search