57-63 MERCER STREET and 5 MALONE STREET GEELONG, GREATER GEELONG CITYGoogle Maps and Google Streetview
Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number
Heritage Overlay Number
Level of Significance
|Extent of Registration||
AMENDMENT OF REGISTER OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS
The Church of St Peter and St Paul, Geelong West was built in 1864-66 by contractor Clement Nash to a design by William Wardell and supervised by JB Denney. The bluestone church with Barrabool sandstone dressings comprises a five bay clerestoried nave, chancel, side chapels and sacristy.
The church of St Peter and St Paul is of architectural significance to Victoria.
The church is an important example of the smaller ecclesiastical work of the prominent architect William Wardell and one of only few parish churches completed according to his plans. The building expresses Wardell's adaptation of the Early English Gothic style. The ornate details are replaced by simplicity of design and plainness of material formulating its own decorative expression. The simple ornamentation includes the unusual bell gable surmounted by a pair of carved Celtic crosses (symbolising the double dedication) and the triple lancet window at the east end containing stained glass by Ferguson & Urie.
[Source: Report to Minister.]