271 LATROBE TERRACE GEELONG, Greater Geelong CityGoogle Maps and Google Streetview
Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number
Heritage Overlay Number
Level of Significance
|Extent of Registration||
AMENDMENT OF REGISTER OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS
The former Gaelic church and schoolhouse was built in 1854 by a Free Presbyterian Church congregation established in Geelong for the Gaelic-speaking immigrants from the Scottish Highlands. The simple Gothic style building in sandstone and brick was designed by Geelong architect John Young. It was used as a church until the congregation built a separate chapel in 1859
The former Gaelic church and schoolhouse is of historical, architectural and social significance to Victoria.
The former Gaelic church and schoolhouse has important historical and social associations. As the oldest surviving example of a Free Presbyterian church, it has associations with the Presbyterian Church, particularly the divisions in Presbyterianism resulting in the establishment of the Free Church in Victoria in 1846, three years after the formation of the Free Church in Scotland when 474 evangelical ministers left the Church in protest against the subservience of the church to the state. It also has historical and social associations with the Scottish immigrants to Victoria during the nineteenth century, many of whom had been affected by the Highland clearances.
The former church and schoolhouse, one of the most intact surviving examples of the early denominational schools subsidised by the government, is of historical significance for its educational associations. It recalls the important role played by denominational schools in the early history of education in this state.