Simple Search » Back to search results »   Pdf_icon  Print


ST DAVID'S LUTHERAN CHURCH AND CEMETERY

Location

905 ANGLESEA ROAD FRESHWATER CREEK, Surf Coast Shire

Google Maps and Google Streetview

Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number

H1903

Heritage Overlay Number

HO15

Level of Significance

Registered

Extent of Registration

1. All the building marked B1 (church) and the structure marked B2 (memorial entrance gateway) on Diagram Number 1903 held by the Executive Director. 2. All the land including ... more

Statement of Significance

The first German Lutherans settled in the district around Grovedale (Germantown) in the early 1850s. By the late 1850s the settlement at Freshwater Creek was established. Initially services were held in the homes of members until the first church, a wattle and daub structure, was built in 1859. It was known as the Waldkirch – “the church in the forest”. Their first pastor was CW Schurmann from Hochkirch (now Tarrington), near Hamilton. The first burial took ... more

Year Construction Started 1866
Heritage Act Categories Heritage place
Municipality SURF COAST SHIRE

Create Report:

Pdf_icon_big
PDF Report

(Build 107 (35372) / 25/04/15 - 102785 places Online ) Terms and Conditions Reset Search