BYADUK CEMETERY

Location

Cemetery Road BYADUK, Southern Grampians Shire

Google Maps and Google Streetview

For further details, contact the local council or go to Planning Schemes Online.

Level of Significance

Stage 2 study complete

20048

Statement of Significance

What is significant?
The Byaduk Cemetery, located on Cemetery Road, some 1.5 kilometers east of the Hamilton - Port Fairy Road is a four acre cemetery reserve. It is located on a hill overlooking the township of Byaduk. It is one of two cemeteries in the Byaduk area, the other being the Lutheran Cemetery. The earliest burials date from the late 1840s, when Billy Elms, known by Europeans as "Black Billy" was buried there. There are several important memorials within the cemetery, perhaps the most important is to Captain John McIntosh Ross, a Captain of the Victorian Mounted Rifles, who with his wife Jeannie, owned the Byaduk general store for many years. Ross was an important and revered member of the community who unexpectedly died at age 46 after an operation to remove a cyst associated with Hydatids. There is a large white marble tablet, scalloped at four corners erected by the community in the cemetery. The tablet was originally located in one of the public precinct areas at the centre of Byaduk. The graves are grouped in the conventional manner. According to denominations. One isolated grave, that of Mary Tomkins, who died in 1872, is located about 50 metres distant from the other graves, although still within the boundary fence. There are no significant plantings. The cemetery is in excellent condition, and retains a very high degree of integrity.

How is it significant?
The Byaduk Cemetery is of historical, social and architectural significance to the district of Byaduk and the Southern Grampians Shire.

What is significant?
The Byaduk Cemetery is of historical significance as an enduring record of those who have lived and died in the community, as a reflection of passing phases, ways of life and death, particular events, and as documentary evidence.

The Cemetery is of social significance for reflecting the customs and tastes of the community, for reflecting different religious values, and for reflecting different economic and social status. It is also important as a place of passive recreation.

The Cemetery is of architectural significance for its range of tombstones, memorials and iconography reflecting the aesthetics of different periods and groups within the community. It is also of interest for its overall design and position within the broader landscape.

Description

The condition of the cemetery grounds and graves is excellent.

The Byaduk Cemetery is located on the south side of Cemetery Road, approximately 1.5.kilometres east of the Hamilton-Port Fairy Road. The cemetery is positioned on an elevated site on the township boundary in an area of about 4 acres. The graves are approached through a set of low wrought iron gates of 20th century origin, along a central pathway. The graves are grouped in the conventional manner. According to denominations. One isolated grave, that of Mary Tomkins, who died in 1872, is located about 50 metres distant from the other graves, although still within the boundary fence. The only structure on the site is a wooden toilet near the south boundary. A number of native and European trees and shrubs are planted along the boundaries, including a row of mature Pinus radiata on the west side. No formal plantings or landscape elements are visible.

The graves of many families who made important contributions to the development of the Byaduk community are located in the cemetery. These include the Fraser, Christie, Cameron, Falkenberg, Harman, Scott, Tyers, Kinghorn, Holcombe and Smith families. A plain white marble tablet with scalloped corners has been erected at the foot of the grave of J M Ross. The tablet bear the inscription 'Erected in memory of the late J M Ross/A worthy citizen/Captain of H Company, VMR/"Precept may lead but example draws".'

Theme 9: Marking the phases of life
9.7 Dying
9.7.1 Dealing with human remains
9.7.3 Remembering the dead

cemetery

Very high degree of integrity

J M Ross

Cemetery Reserve

Heritage Study Southern Grampians - Southern Grampians Shire Heritage Study, Timothy Hubbard P/L, Annabel Neylon, 2002
Year Construction Started 1862
Heritage Act Categories Registered place
Municipality SOUTHERN GRAMPIANS SHIRE

Create Report:

Pdf_icon_big
PDF Report

(Build 107 (35372) / 25/04/15 - 642 places Online for Southern Grampians Shire ) Terms and Conditions Reset Search