Suttie's Road BYADUK, Southern Grampians Shire

Google Maps and Google Streetview

For further details, contact the local council or go to Planning Schemes Online.

Level of Significance

Stage 2 study complete


Statement of Significance

What is significant?
The homestead complex at Lower Aird commenced in 1861 with the selection of land by the Fraser brothers. The original 6 roomed stone section of Lower Aird was built in 1867 for James Fraser and his wife Mary. The plan of the house is asymmetrical, and is reminiscent of similar homesteads in the district. This substantial building has been extended during the 20th century with a number of timber extensions. The outbuildings include an early stone cool room, later used as a laundry, various sheds, and the corrugated iron stables. Lower Aird has a well established garden with a number of mature trees, and elements of formal landscaping, mostly dating from the early 20th century.

How is it significant?
The Lower Aird Homestead Complex is of architectural and historical significance to the community of Byaduk and Southern Grampians Shire.

Why is it significant?
Lower Aird Homestead Complex is of architectural significance as an example of a substantial stone homestead built during a period of considerable growth at Byaduk, following the 1860s land sales. Its asymmetrical three quarter plan is not common, but is similar to several homesteads built in this district at about the same time.

Lower Aird Homestead Complex is of historical significance for its long association with the Fraser family, pioneers of the district and important members of the Byaduk community.


The condition of the homestead and outbuildings is very good.

The Lower Aird homestead consists of an L-shaped structure in a vernacular style, built of rendered bluestone, with quoins at the corners of the facade. The facade is asymmetrical, being three rooms wide across the front. This rather uncommon three quarters plan is present in several bluestone homesteads built at a similar time in this district, suggesting that the same builder may have been employed on each. A number of timber sections have been added at various stages in the 19th and 20th centuries, possibly recycling older materials from the homestead complex. An attached timber verandah runs across the entire facade, uniting later elements with the original stone house. Its simple detailing is typical of the Edwardian period. At the eastern end, the verandah has been enclosed with timber panels and windows, to create a new entrance to the house. This enclosed area appears to have been used as a simple conservatory at some stage. The homestead roof is corrugated iron.

On the east side of the homestead is a free standing stone structure, which may have been a cool room, but which has subsequently been fitted out as a laundry. A large corrugated iron stable or workshop is located a short distance from the house.

The garden at Lower Aird has been laid out with formal paths and beds, and contains a number of mature plantings, including a pair of large Cupressus sempervirens either side of the front gate, several Peppercorn (Schinus molle) and a substantial Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus macrophylla).

Theme 3: Developing local, regional and national economies
3.5 Developing primary production
3.5.1 Grazing stock

Theme 5: Working
5.8 Working on the land

Continuing as a pastoral property


James Fraser
Duncan Fraser
Colin Fraser

Heritage Study Southern Grampians - Southern Grampians Shire Heritage Study, Timothy Hubbard P/L, Annabel Neylon, 2002
Year Construction Started 1867
Architectural Style Victorian Period (1851-1901) Vernacular
Heritage Act Categories Registered place

Create Report:

PDF Report

(Build 107 (35372) / 25/04/15 - 642 places Online for Southern Grampians Shire ) Terms and Conditions Reset Search