Simple Search » Back to search results »   Pdf_icon  Print


HYDE PARK

Location

Hyde Park Road GATUM, Southern Grampians Shire

Google Maps and Google Streetview

For further details, contact the local council or go to Planning Schemes Online.

Level of Significance

Stage 2 study complete

Statement of Significance

The Hyde Park squatting run, located at the head of the Dundas River about 14.5kms north of Cavendish, was taken up by the partnership of Melbourne merchants, Bells Brothers and Buchanan in 1843. Donald Kennedy and Duncan Cameron Kennedy held it for two years to 1849. It then passed briefly to the partnership of Thomas McKellar and James Cochrane. McKellar bought out Cochrane's interest in the partnership and held the licence alone until September 1858. Parts of the ... more

Description

The homestead and outbuildings are in very good condition. [The woolshed and stone cottages were not inspected.] The homestead at Hyde Park is a group of small single-storey buildings, the earliest constructed from timber using vernacular forms with stone and brick chimneys, corrugated iron roofs and simple timber verandahs contiguous with the main roofs. The roof over the earliest section is hipped while that over the kitchen wing is gabled. ... more

Heritage Study Southern Grampians - Southern Grampians Shire Heritage Study, Timothy Hubbard P/L, Annabel Neylon, 2002
Year Construction Started 1850
Architectural Style Victorian Period (1851-1901) Vernacular
Heritage Act Categories Heritage place
Municipality SOUTHERN GRAMPIANS SHIRE

Create Report:

Pdf_icon_big
PDF Report

(Build 106 (34294) / 01/09/14 - 642 places Online for Southern Grampians Shire) Terms and Conditions Reset Search