20 TALBOT STREET NEWTOWN, GREATER GEELONG CITY
Google Maps and Google Streetview
Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number
Heritage Overlay Number
Level of Significance
|Extent of Registration
AMENDMENT OF REGISTER OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS
Historic Building No. 883-
The Geelong College
Talbot Street, Newtown.
(To the extent of:
1. The Dining Hall, contained with the building known as the Refectory Block (B1), the whole Main Building Complex which contains the original building and entrance, together with the War Memorial Wing, the Cloisters, and all other sections (B2), Geelong College, shown hatched on the attached Plan 6010501(A) endorsed by the Chairperson, Historic Buildings Council and held by the Director, Historic Buildings Council.
2. The building known as Warrinn House (B3), Geelong College shown on the attached Plan 6010501(B) endorsed by the Chairperson, Historic Buildings Council and held by the Director, Historic Buildings Council.
3. The land (L1) being part of the land entered in Certificate of Title Volume 3267 Folio 370 as shown on the attached Plan 6010501(A) endorsed by the Chairperson, Historic Buildings Council and held by the Director, Historic Buildings Council.
4. The land (L2) being part of the land entered in Certificate of Title Volume 3398 Folio 568 as shown on the attached Plan 6010501(B) endorsed by the Chairperson, Historic Buildings Council and held by the Director, Historic Buildings Council.)
[Victoria Government Gazette No. G47 2 December 1993 p.3225]
Statement of Significance
The Geelong College, built in 1871, is of architectural and historical significance for the following reasons:
The original building, including the 1871 Main School and its 1873 additions are excellent examples of the work of notable architects Davidson and Henderson, and are substantially intact.The 1870-73 buildings illustrate technical innovation in the early use of hollow or cavity brickwork.
The buildings designed by Philip Hudson, including the South Wing of the Main School and the Refectory (Dining Hall) are excellent examples of collegiate Tudor architecture of the 20th Century and are also intact. The Dining Hall demonstrates outstanding craftsmanship in the use of timber, particularly in the panelling and doors.
The buildings which make up the campus are visually cohesive and illustrate respect by the various architectural firms involved for the original building s designed by Davidson and Henderson.
The buildings demonstrate the historical development of the College, which has played a significant social role, not only in the history of Geelong, but also in Victoria.
The main building, or central precinct of the school, provides evidence of the earlier influences of the school founder, George Morrison.
Warrinn House was acquired by the Geelong College in 1906. Dormitories were added in 1906, and the present form of the building illustrates the earlier relationship between the boarders and Master, together under the one roof.
|Year Construction Started
Victorian Period (1851-1901) Tudor
|Heritage Act Categories
GREATER GEELONG CITY
(Build 107 (35372) / 25/04/15
- 107339 places Online
Terms and Conditions