Simple Search » Back to search results »   Pdf_icon  Print


WRECK BELL

Location

PRINCES PARK, CNR WHARF STREET and GELLIBRAND STREET QUEENSCLIFF, Queenscliffe Borough

Google Maps and Google Streetview

Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number

H2070

Heritage Overlay Number

HO117

Level of Significance

Registered

Extent of Registration

1. All of the structure known as the Wreck Bell (including the bell, yoke belfry, post, sign, ladder and platform base) marked B1 on Diagram 2070 held by the Executive Director. 2. ... more

Statement of Significance

The Wreck Bell was a facility provided by the Ports and Harbours Branch to summon the crew of the Queenscliff lifeboat in times of a maritime disaster. The bell was cast by John Danks & Son, Melbourne, and the supporting structure erected by William Golightly (Jnr) in September 1891. It was placed in Lower Princess Park close to the residences of the fishermen who generally formed the crew of the lifeboat. The head of the lighthouse service was automatically the ... more

Heritage Act Categories Heritage place
Municipality QUEENSCLIFFE BOROUGH; QUEENSCLIFFE BOROUGH; QUEENSCLIFFE BOROUGH

Create Report:

Pdf_icon_big
PDF Report

(Build 107 (35372) / 25/04/15 - 102785 places Online ) Terms and Conditions Reset Search