Simple Search » Back to search results »   Pdf_icon  Print


FORMER CLIFFORD TOWNSHIP

Location

PRINCES HIGHWAY and DEVON ROAD MOUNT MORIAC, SURF COAST SHIRE

Google Maps and Google Streetview

Heritage Inventory (HI) Number

H7721-0442

History

Wynd (1992: 83) writes that Clifford was established strategically around the Cape Otway/Devon Roads and the Princes Road as early as 1853 and it "soon had a school/church, hotel, store and smithy". The four buildings situated within the vicinity of the intersection, are as follows: The Church of England (1853 - closing in 1875), The Store/Post Office (ref. 1869), Hotel (ref. 1871-1877 destroyed by fire), Blacksmith (1872). By the year 1890, all of the people living in ... more

(Build 107 (35372) / 25/04/15 - 102765 places Online ) Terms and Conditions Reset Search